While I casually sift through my emails this morning (ok, 8:30) I receive a forwarded blog from my wonderful husband (sent promptly at 6:30). It is entitled How To Become a Morning Person. I’m already annoyed.
Here are some of the reasons that I should apparently become a morning person:
“Morning people” tend to:
- Make more money.
- Be more productive.
- Be healthier and live longer.
- Be more happy and satisfied in their lives.
Let me tell you something morning people – you can justify how great your life is because you rise early, but I don’t believe you. Only people who are constantly trying to change other people into themselves are really miserable in their own lives. I mean, do you ever hear blogs or podcasts or webinars entitled How to Be a Night Owl?
Yeah, I thought not. That’s because us night owls actually enjoy it when the morning people go to bed. Just last Saturday night my husband (morning guy) and I (night owl) were at a Christmas party and by 9 my husband wanted to go home and go to bed. Come on, 9. That’s because he had been busy getting up that morning to “be healthier and live longer.”
The best part is, you morning people are trying to change us, all the while just hinting at the misery of being a morning person. Read on…..
Step #3 in the fore mentioned blog on how to become a morning person:
- Use an alarm. After years of waking up early, this has become
an engrained habit for me. I wake up at 5:00 a.m. without an alarm. It
is amazing how consistent this is—sometimes when I don’t want it to be. But if
you haven’t been a morning person until now, you will likely need to use an
alarm. It’s part of training yourself mentally and physically..
Watch how I can read between the lines here. The author wakes up at 5, without an alarm, even when he doesn’t want to! What? Sometimes you don’t want to be a morning person?!? Exactly.
Here are just a few reasons I will never change and why I think the world would fall apart without night people:
1.. Who would see the future midnight premieres of any vampire/werewolf trilogies?
2. Who would shop at a 24 hours Walgreens? (I hear the sound of a crumbling economy here)
3. How would Fed-Ex ship your goods in 24 hours without a night shift?
4. Who would ever play in a band? (hint here morning people: bands usually begin their sets after you go to bed at 9)
5. I don’t like to eat dinner with the over 70 crowd at 5.
And the best of all…..
6. My two love languages are quality time and physical touch. Trust me reader, I can NOT deliver quality time in the morning. And really, the best physical touch comes at night. (wink, wink) Acts of service are most likely best delivered by a morning person and at the bottom of my list of needs.
I love you morning husband! And I promise NOT to give you a hard time the next Friday night when you “call” sleeping in on Saturday morning and ask me to deal with the kids. I promise. Because really, I know that you just can’t help yourself from being a morning person, but sometimes, just sometimes, you wish you could be a night person. Everybody does….
Signing off – promptly at 9:30 and ready to start my day!